22.6.15

A Delicious Summer Quinoa Dip!

I call it a "dip", but it could be called a salad as well... It works both ways! 
I love to eat it with tortilla chips or by itself. You could also put it in a wrap with some plain greek yogurt and lettuce. Mmm. It's so versatile! 
It could also be made any time of year of course, but it looks really nice on the side of a bbq'd steak let me tell ya!



Here are the ingredients you'll need! 

For starters, you'll need quinoa, which I forgot to include in the photo. I use half a cup of quinoa, boil it with 1 cup of water & let cool before mixing in other ingredients. You could double the quinoa and it would make the dip more of a salad.. a bit more filling if you wanted to eat it on its own... or if you just want more quinoa!

You'll also need:
Approx 4 tomatoes
1 small onion
1 medium sized bell pepper 
[I usually use green, but I had to use up this red one!]
1 jalapeño pepper 
1 can of black beans
1 can or 1.5 cups of corn
 A handful [or 2!] of cilantro
[Make sure to use the least amount of stem as possible]

Dressing:
1 tbs chill powder
1 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs oregano
1tsp salt [optional]
The juice of 1 lime
1/2 -2/3 cup olive oil
1-3 garlic cloves
[Depending on how much garlic you prefer, I would have done 2]

Then you just chop all the veggies up & add to a large bowl. Make sure to chop the jalapeño pepper pretty finely so that you don't get a big chunk in one bite. I also used scissors to cut the cilantro... Unless you have a really good knife, you'll find this way to be much easier! Also, be sure to drain and rinse the black beans and corn [if you're using a can].
Since this is such a versatile dip, you can really play around with the ingredients to make it taste just the way you want it to. Add more or less tomatoes, different beans, different peppers. It's really up to you and what you prefer!
With the dressing, you're just going to want to mince the garlic, and then mix everything together!
Stir the cooled quinoa, veggie mix, and dressing together, and you're all done!
It's so good and the longer it sits in the fridge, the more the flavours blend together.

Mmmmm!

Let me know if you try this! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram if you do!
Also, where do you get quinoa? I got mine from Sobeys, but I feel I could probably get a better deal somewhere else. Possibly online?