This pie was a definite winner in our house! Bo said it was the best thing I've ever made!
It's a variation of my gramma's Rhubarb Custard Pie... I just changed up the recipe to incorporate the strawberries!
It's just so easy & so delicious. Not too sweet, not too tart.
I use pre-made pie crusts, but I'm sure having a crust made from scratch would make this pie THAT much better! But pre-made works for me :) Time is of the essence around these parts! Haha!
The rhubarb came from our yard, & the strawberries were on sale at the store for $3 a quart! I'm definitely not used to freshness when it comes to produce. Back in my home town, produce would be on it's way out by the time the trucks brought it to town. These strawberries came from Nova Scotia, which is just a hop, skip and a jump away! There was even grass still in these berries! That's how you know it's farm fresh!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Crumble Topping Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
Ingredients for the pie
1 9 inch uncooked pie crust
2 cups halved strawberries [or quartered, depending on the size]
3 cups of chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs flour
2 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for the topping
3/4 cup flour
2 tbs brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cold cubed butter
1. In large bowl, whisk sugars, eggs, flour and vanilla together until well combined
2. Stir in strawberries & rhubarb.
3. Pour mixture into your pie crust.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together all topping ingredients, minus the butter.
5. Cut in butter or use your hands to mix butter in. The mixture should be crumbly, and the butter should be the size of peas.
6. Pile topping on your pie filling & spread evenly.
7. Put your pie on your baking sheet & cook on 400F for 15 minutes.
8. Lower heat to 350F and bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
9. Make sure to let the pie sit for a couple hours so it can set, otherwise it will be too runny when you cut into it.
If you make this recipe, let me know!
Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram & tag me!