Words cannot explain how terrible the lighting is in my kitchen in the evenings. Just so yellow. Eek!
Anyway.. I made this delicious quiche the other day and it was just so good that I really wanted to share! Plus I'm always searching for new things for Hunter to try & he loved this!
This dish is so incredibly versatile. You can change anything you want to make it something you like! Change the cheese, veggies... Add in meat. What ever tickles your fancy my friend.
Meatless Mexican Quiche
1 9 inch pie crust
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
Half a can of black beans
2-3 tbs of homemade taco seasoning* or 1 pkg taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup milk or cream
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups cheese of your choice
*Taco seasoning recipe below!
1. Start by pricking your pie crust with a fork and "blind baking"** it in a preheated 400F degree oven for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add garlic, onion and green pepper and cook until they start to get some colour, add beans, taco seasoning and water. Stir until combined and turn heat off.
3. When your crust is done, bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes until nice and golden.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and salt and pepper to taste.
5. When your crust is ready, pour the seasoned skillet mixture evenly into crust. Add the tomatoes, followed by the egg mixture and then top it off with the cheese.
6. Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden and the edges are set.
7. Let quiche cool and set for about 10 minutes before you cut into it! Enjoy!
**Blind Baking helps your crust bake without giving it too much colour.
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chill powder
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
This recipe makes about 1/3 cup of seasoning. You can always double, triple, or quadruple this recipe and then you'll have homemade taco seasoning on had for all sorts of meals! Scrambled eggs, chicken wraps, quesadillas, and of course, tacos!
Let me know if you try either of these recipes! Be sure to tag me on Facebook or Instagram!